This article has been reposted from the College Success blog.
The attitude you present tells others who you are, what you are and what to expect from you. When you are viewed as having a great attitude, many more people will naturally gravitate toward you and often will be willing to help you in some way.
The most successful students, leaders and employees present an attitude that makes it clear to everyone around them that they are positive, genuine, competent, self-confident and caring. That is why every college student should come to realize that only with a great attitude can they ever reach their full potential.
Your attitude makes itself known through your words, tone of voice, actions, reactions, facial expressions, mannerisms and body language. It is revealed in every aspect of your thinking and behavior. As people read those signals, they make judgments about you and your potential for success. People with great potential are easy to recognize.
Since you choose your attitude, you may want to take a closer look at the attitude you are presenting to your friends, classroom instructors and employers. If you want to be more successful, you can choose to adopt a different attitude. Because people with an attitude of success tend to focus on eight areas, those “Elements of Success” are offered here.
1. Demonstrate Competence and Professionalism – Employers need people who are both competent and professional. No employer can survive without them. When college students can provide examples of their competence and professionalism, employers will take notice. Students in this category are willing to get their hands dirty and are quick to help others. They work hard, produce quality work, beat deadlines and achieve above average results.
2. Build and Maintain Relationships – It may surprise you to learn that most people don’t succeed on their technical competence alone. No matter how competent you may be, it is unlikely that you will succeed when the people around you don’t like you. Since few jobs operate in isolation, you will need others to help you succeed. When people know that you care about them, they will go to great lengths to help you.
3. Present a Positive Attitude – The most successful students and employees choose to present a “can do”, “let’s give it a try”, “I’ll do what it takes” attitude. Because of their great attitude, they influence others in a positive way. Additionally, it is their positive attitude that offers them the opportunity to overcome the obstacles that stop others in their tracks.
4. Exhibit Self-Confidence – Few people find great success without having a high degree of self-confidence. Since that confidence can be built slowly over time, students often get involved with small projects where they can make solid contributions. As those small successes accumulate, their self-confidence will increase. The more they believe in themselves, the more successes they will have.
5. Practice Continuous Learning – People with an attitude of success make a special effort to stay on top of the things that are going on in their field of interest. They recognize that they can’t remain successful without learning about and utilizing the new developments, information and techniques. Whenever people fall behind in their field, they lose value.
6. Treat People With Respect – Anyone who doesn’t treat others with respect, regardless of their position or status, will severely hamper their own success. Successful people look for the best in others and recognize their unique talents and strengths. They teach others, build them up and rely on them for help.
7. Develop and Expand Leadership Skills – Successful people don’t do everything by themselves. They identify a worthwhile goal, stimulate interest, inspire other people to perform and lead them to a successful result. Since leadership skills can be developed and improved with practice, those striving for greater success can initially accept a few small leadership roles. Then, as their skills begin to improve, they can look for opportunities to take on larger and larger challenges.
8. Look to the Future – The most successful people look to the future. They don’t dwell on their past successes and failures. Successful people focus on those few goals that will make things better in the future. People who see the future clearly will recognize the challenges and problems for what they are. They are the opportunities that the future presents to us.
Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice.
It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
— Jeremy Kitson
We know that success doesn’t come to everyone. Too many people just don’t have the right attitude. However, those who will have the greatest achievements understand that, in the end, success favors the people who earn it. That is why they closely follow the eight, rock hard elements of success. You can too!
The “College & Career Success” Coach
Posted on December 13, 2010 by Bob Roth